Monday, May 12, 2008

You've Come a Long Way BABY!


If this picture could talk, the translation would be : You've Come a Long Way BABY!
Indeed, she has. I don't know about you but when I recall past events, I remember them in snapshot form; moments of time relived in the privacy of my inner being. With Hannah Mei, I understand this past week best when I consider the CONTRASTS.
Those once sad downcast eyes which looked away now CONNECT with mine
That rigid spine that pulled away from our touch DRAWS near
A face that showed no life RESPONDS
A voice that made no sound CRIES, JABBERS, and CRIES-ha!
A little gal who only ate rice porridge SAMPLES new tastes & textures-she still hoards food in those cheeks but we're making progress
A neck and face that strained to keep AWAY from me SQUISHES against mine. (having slobber and sticky fingers all over me never felt so good)

These are the moments I remember---for me they are powerful moments I anchor to Hannah and their deepest meaning is found in their contrasts. WOW, she's amazing and I am humbled that God has helped her/me/us come this far.

Very soon after we had 'gotten' Hannah & came back to the hotel, I had a conversation w/ a staff lady who sells tea in one of the gift shops. I recall how my heart dropped when she asked, "WHY BABY SO SAD?"

How do you answer that properly? How do you not panic at the implications of what the answer might be?

We had exchanged courtesies during our stay so she wasn't a complete stranger. Plus, I had been told that the Chinese ask intimate questions (I always have those kinds of questions myself so I did think...hmm, fancy meeting the Chinese version of me. Do you ever notice how you meet someone like yourself when you least want to? ha!). I explained to her that Hannah had lived for almost 16 months in an orphanage. I devulged that our guide said that it is very likely that she spent maybe even 20 + hours in a crib or in a chair each day. "She needs time", I said. Even in my response ( I can admit now ) I held a secret concern in my own heart wondering....oh, my....what if this little lamb never responds. Those aren't the kinds of fears you share w/ a stranger. You carry those in your heart---then you (or in my case I) pray that God would bring out the Hannah he intends her to be & that I'd be given the inner strength & grace necessary if she never developed as my heart would most longed for. I can share that with you now that 7 days have past since we first got her. I did pray those kinds of words. Yes, I was afraid.

BACK TO THE POINT ....I had been teaching Hannah to wave bye-bye to staff here as we exited the building. You can only imagine how very proud I was when Hannah waved 'bye bye' to this gal. I wanted her to see that Hannah wasn't some lifeless nothing---she's a very much a wanted little girl. I said, "See, she's coming along". The lady smiled.

You might wonder, how does Hannah respond to strangers? I'm pleased to say that she responds with the same hesitancy that she once did with us. You might wonder why I would be pleased. The guide explained that we will identify that progress has been made if Hannah begins to distinguish us from the rest of humanity. I am not a child development expert by any stretch of the imagination BUT what has been very helpful is to hear the guides and the experienced adoptive parents explain that you do not want the child to connect equally w/ everyone nor do you want them to charm all they meet. Instead, you want what we see happening right now. I share that so that when you meet Hannah Mei (especially grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins) you not 'feel' rejection if she is hesitant to embrace you at first.

Today we must stay in our rooms from 10 a.m. onwards until we get our calls regarding interviews at the consulate. We are on the home strech now.

(By the way, we have experienced no impact from the earthquake. Though some in our group may have come from that province recently. I am not sure but will find out today at breakfast.)

Again, thanks for all of the kind emails sent. The support you've given on this journey has been so helpful. We've hung on every word sent...so, keep em' coming. We'll be home in a few days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Judy, I am enjoying your trip together with you, seeing your happy face, and above all your precious daughter!! Also, I am relieved to know that you are safe from the earthquake. Please take care....I am looking forward to seeing your new family member!! Sachiko