Monday, May 5, 2008

GOTCHA DAY!

Ian kept wanting to feed Hannah gold fish. He also wanted to 'help' her drink which was wonderful but I think that the poor little girl was absolutely overwhelmed. Or, maybe it was just that I was overwhelmed. Either way, let me say----it is GOTCHA DAY! She is finally with us. I don't have any really clear or good photos yet. Perhaps as I explain how the day played out, you'll understand why.
I have tried to envision what this day would be like for a long time. It could have been the fatigue of the journey catching up with me or just cultural differences in how Chinese people respond (meaning orphanage directors, etc.) but I found the GOTCHA DAY both a day when I finally was able to breath a sigh of relief (this has finally come to an end) and we have her---but also for me there was a very real element of sadness about it all.
I don't really know any other way to describe it. I am hesitant to even write that for fear that some of you will interpret that I am not happy w/ Hannah or our decision to adopt. It isn't that at all.....but for me the chaos of the actual meeting of her coupled w/ not having the proper food/beverages for her---her taste buds, etc. ushered me into a sense of panic and confusion. I have read so many blogs on adoption and the GOTCHA DAY seemed in each one to be a climatic moments of everyones' journey. Nothing could have prepared me for how chaotic and fear inducing it would be for me (as an adult) and also for the children. When we arrived in Guangzhou, our guide (who really has been so helpful----taking me and another gal personally to the store because we were so concerned we did not have the proper food---a jaunt which took several hours and getting me back before Hannah could actually eat any of it as she'd fallen asleep) Anyway, upon our arrival our guide said that the orphanage director mentioned that several of the girls had had chicken pox. In the end we found out that Hannah was one of them.

We were given only about an hour and a half to get ready before we had to head to the Civil Affairs Office. You are taken to an office building, up and elevator, and walk out into a huge room filled with nothing but foreigners adopting children. There were French people, other Europeans, & North Americans. You could hear some kids screaming and sobbing & others just overcome with shyness and fatigue. One four year old being adopted by a French couple was so distraught as her caregiver handed her over that my heart just wanted to weep for her.
We were told that our orphanage nannies and director were on their way. So, we waited on seats just outside the elevators. When the doors opened 4 little girls were carried into the room and past us. I told our group....that's them. I recognized one of the gals from the photos I had seen and then right past me walked a lady carrying Hannah.
Our name was called and out walked a lady carrying Hannah to us. Her left eye was black and blue. The lady was chattering away in Chinese and our guide interpreted saying that she had fallen recently. Then the lady just handed her over to me. Brent picked up Ian and we all just stood there looking at each other. Poor little Hannah's back arched---she never screamed or cried but she did keep looking down as if she was either afraid or something. I asked one of the experienced mothers (who had adopted) two previous Chinese girls if this was normal. She said that she had experienced both blood curdling screaming reactions and exactly what Hannah did. Debbie went on to explain that she knows something is happening...she just doesn't know what it is. She also knows that we are strangers.
As the night has gone on, she stares longer at me and she's chattering away something----just not sure what it is-----hopefully it isn't GET ME OUT OF HERE! Ian has been such a trooper. On the way to pick Hannah up he said, "Mom, did you bring socks for Hannah?" He's heard all of the people in our group say that it is important that we keep the girls warm. Anyway, he then asked if they were the soft kind....when I said yes, he complimented me and said that I had done a good job. ha! He tried to hold her a couple of times but she really didn't want us to hold her too tightly. I will let you know how the week progresses. We are absolutely beat!!!
Much love from Southern China!

No comments: