Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Thought you should know.


I can't really explain it....but for some reason, my ability to actually view this blog has been blocked. So, I don't actually know if you are getting the new entries. Sorry if this is not coming through. Also, it could just be that the entries are not showing up in sequencial order. If that is the case, hmm....I wouldn't know. Anyway, I hope that you are still able to follow this journey. Otherwise, I might just be writing and sending into cyberspace---not really placing the info anywhere for you to see! Ugh! This afternoon was so much fun as we were able to purchase an adorable red dress, shoes, and hat for Hannah. The shoes squeek. I didn't know that shoes did that....apparently I am not up w/ fashion. One of the moms said that these have been around for ages, ha! So much for me knowing the latest trends in childwear! For the Chinese people red is the symbol for happiness and prosperity. When a woman marries in Chinese society, she wears red not white as we do at home.
In the late afternoon we went to the police station. We received the 'red book'. It is a hard covered red in color book with our photos and names as Hannah Mei Steury's official parents. We have applied for her to obtain a Chinese passport. Until she has a passport, we cannot take her out of the country. We will then take her Chinese passport and documents to our American consulate and have them grant a visa for her to travel to the USA. Once back stateside, we must apply for her U.S. passport. The police station was very interesting to see. We were not allowed to bring in our cameras. I also received the newspaper clipping which the Chinese government posted in a newspaper in the area where she was found requesting that anyone with any knowledge regarding her biological parents would come forward. The information is written obviously in Chinese. It is quite interesting to see that the government really does have numerous 'loops' that they go through before they will officially say that a child has been abandoned.
I still wonder about her biological parents; in particular her birthmother. I try to imagine what circumstances brought her to the decision to leave Hannah out on the steps of a building in February of 2007.