Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The friendliness of the Chinese astound us & Hannah LOVED HER FIRST BATH!!!!!

Ian says 'hi'!
Hannah in a traditional hat!
This gal sucks these two fingers when she is tired. It's so sweet.
Ian is a wonderful BIG BROTHER.
This Chinese guy 'gifted' us w/ these ribbons for the running of the TORCH!

Hannah is starting to open up. She just jabbered away after her bath!!!
We're making progress. She clapped the water as if she were in a swimming pool & she LOVED IT!



Today was awesome. If pictures are worth a thousand words, then the photos I'm enclosing above will (I hope) convey something we have learned about the Chinese people. This trip has destroyed every stereotype I have ever had of this culture. It is much more child friendly than I ever imagined. People love parks here. You stroll through and see old women doing stretches and others doing traditional dances w/ fans. Older men sit together. Many exercise.

In some ways there is a very real 'sheltered innocence' to them. I don't know how to explain it. I have travelled to so many places in the world. Yet, I have never been to a country where the people stare----not in a condemning or superstitious way but w/ a very real desire to meet you. Today we went to a lovely park here in the city. We learned that the Olympic Torch was going to be coming at 1:00 on the street. Pedestrians carrying Chinese flags were lining up along the roadside to cheer it on. There is such a sense of excitement here & also in Beijing that the Games are coming to this country. The Chinese sincerely seem to be a people eager to branch out beyond itself. I've shared how on more than one occasion people will stop and stare at Ian---soon a camera comes out and they ask permission using gestures (usually) or they find someone who speaks English to ask if Ian will take with them. It is hilarious. Well, today two gals asked if they could take Ian's photo and before we knew it groups of people were lined up to do the same. A young man even stopped and gave us ribbons for our arms. He loves America...and he wished me a HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY for Sunday. It was all sort of surreal. Hannah Mei has created quite a stir with the older people. They just stare at me until I feel uncomfortable...today I decided that I would just smile back and just about every time they would then come over and touch her and sometimes me. I would be walking and suddenly see people point and say in Chinese something. I have since learned they are saying....'foreigner, foreigner.' I have never in my life had that happen. It was explained to me that the older people are very pleased that Chinese girls are adopted out. They are amazed that someone will give girls whom they believe to be disadvantaged a chance. It's been such an overwhelming day in many respects. Hannah is such a lively little gal. She is definately opening up to us. She still won't make eye contact with Brent---but that will come soon. She follows Ian around the room and points. He LOVES that. It's really coming along. (OH, you can enlarge the photos by clicking on them)

No comments: